On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 21:41, Rob Blomquist wrote:
> On Monday 17 November 2003 9:22 am, Björn Lundin wrote:
> > James Sparenberg wrote:
> > >
> > > Rob draksound AFAIK is only effective on PCI type cards.  Since your is
> > > ISA, using the old standby of sndconfig (just urpmi sndconfig)  This
> > > should bring you online no sweat.  One note.  You have to run it from a
> > > regular tty not a konsole or xterm window for it to work right.  I've
> > > used this chipset in the past and it works well, sndconfig has it in
> > > it's database and can get you up.
>
> > I have a 4236-card which sndconfig can get sound from, but it have not,
> > (since mdk8.1) been able to save its settings. Every time i install a new
> > mdk since then I've had to resort to run pnpdump + isapnp, and comment out
> > when given multiple choise. I also put
> >
> > alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
> > options sound dmabuf=1
> > alias synth0 opl3
> > options opl3 io=0x388
> > options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=0 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=10
>
> Well, I found that the problem is not with the sound card, thanks to you guys.
> Bjorn gave me a tip in the options cs4232 line with the mpuirq=10, and I got
> it up and running, but only in console. Yep, in tty1, I was able to play an
> mp3 with mp3blaster.
>
> But when I get over to the graphical side, running XMMS completely locks up
> the system. The mouse is dead, the keyboard is dead, the whole freakin'
> thing. It doesn't crash until a sound is made. Attempting to play an mp3
> kills it, and generating a tone with the tone generator plugin kills the
> system. So then I wondered if it was something about the sound system, and I
> installed Kaboodle, and attempted to play an mp3. Same deal. DOA.
>
> I am wondering if its and IRQ problem, but it doesn't seem so. Now, I appear
> to be using IRQ9 for mpu and IRQ 5 for sound. IRQ 9 does not show up in
> /proc/interrupts, however IRQ 5 is shown to be used by Crystal Audio
> Controller.
>
> Where do I go from here?
>
> Rob

you're a KDE user, aren't you?

in the DM you're using (e.g. mdkkdm, kdm, gdm, xdm) make sure that X is
not being niced:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg129204.html

kcontrol, stop artsd from running with real time priority.

xmms, make sure it's using arts output plugin (may need to install
xmms-arts), don't allow it to run with realtime either.

log out, then CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to make the DM changes take effect,
then log back in and you should be fine.
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...

"We knocked another couple back, The dead soldiers lined up on the table
still prepared for an attack, they didn't know they'd been disabled."
Baby Britain from XO by Elliott Smith