On Monday 17 November 2003 9:22 am, Björn Lundin wrote:
> James Sparenberg wrote:
> >
> > Rob draksound AFAIK is only effective on PCI type cards.  Since your is
> > ISA, using the old standby of sndconfig (just urpmi sndconfig)  This
> > should bring you online no sweat.  One note.  You have to run it from a
> > regular tty not a konsole or xterm window for it to work right.  I've
> > used this chipset in the past and it works well, sndconfig has it in
> > it's database and can get you up.

> I have a 4236-card which sndconfig can get sound from, but it have not,
> (since mdk8.1) been able to save its settings. Every time i install a new
> mdk since then I've had to resort to run pnpdump + isapnp, and comment out
> when given multiple choise. I also put
>
> alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
> options sound dmabuf=1
> alias synth0 opl3
> options opl3 io=0x388
> options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=0 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=10

Well, I found that the problem is not with the sound card, thanks to you guys.
Bjorn gave me a tip in the options cs4232 line with the mpuirq=10, and I got
it up and running, but only in console. Yep, in tty1, I was able to play an
mp3 with mp3blaster.

But when I get over to the graphical side, running XMMS completely locks up
the system. The mouse is dead, the keyboard is dead, the whole freakin'
thing. It doesn't crash until a sound is made. Attempting to play an mp3
kills it, and generating a tone with the tone generator plugin kills the
system. So then I wondered if it was something about the sound system, and I
installed Kaboodle, and attempted to play an mp3. Same deal. DOA.

I am wondering if its and IRQ problem, but it doesn't seem so. Now, I appear
to be using IRQ9 for mpu and IRQ 5 for sound. IRQ 9 does not show up in
/proc/interrupts, however IRQ 5 is shown to be used by Crystal Audio
Controller.

Where do I go from here?

Rob
--