On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 23:36, Rob Blomquist wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 November 2003 6:31 am, Jack Coates wrote:
>
> > > Well, I found that the problem is not with the sound card, thanks to you
> > > guys. Bjorn gave me a tip in the options cs4232 line with the mpuirq=10,
> > > and I got it up and running, but only in console. Yep, in tty1, I was
> > > able to play an mp3 with mp3blaster.
> ...>

so the issue is only when you're running X and KDE...

> > you're a KDE user, aren't you?
> >
> > in the DM you're using (e.g. mdkkdm, kdm, gdm, xdm) make sure that X is
> > not being niced:
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg129204.html
> >
> > kcontrol, stop artsd from running with real time priority.
> >
> > xmms, make sure it's using arts output plugin (may need to install
> > xmms-arts), don't allow it to run with realtime either.
> >
> > log out, then CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to make the DM changes take effect,
> > then log back in and you should be fine.
>
> OK, I altered the X stuff (not that I can see how this would effect the crash)
> then I dropped out of KDE and entered Gnome.

Reniced X and realtime artsd has caused several crashes for me --
basically it's manual monkeying with a sensitive automated process
management system. Because you're seeing crashes, you have something
drastically wrong. This is a relatively new laptop, right? You've
probably got to mess with ACPI and APIC combinations. I know that my
laptop won't work at all with ACPI turned off.

> Trying XMMS I had the same problem. Start to play the tune (this time an ogg
> file) and the keyboard and touch pad are doa, without any kernel messages.
>
> And I started XMMS for Console, and there were no messages there. And just for
> yucks, I tried mp3blaster in a console window. You guessed it, dead as a
> doorknob.

and you didn't get any error messages? You should be seeing eror
messages because you've launched XMMS with the artsd output plugin while
artsd shouldn't be present...

> What the heck could it be? How the heck could I detect it?
>
> Rob

telinit 3

pidof esd
pidof artsd

service alsa stop
service sound stop
if either ends with failed, you have a problem -- pkill the process
that's holding things open.
service sound start
service alsa start

play /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Beep_Yo.wav
alsaplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Beep_Yo.wav

if either one hangs, we go back to suspecting hardware. If they don't
make noise but successfully finish, we look at mixer settings. If one
works and the other doesn't, well, Linux sound kinda sucks, just be
happy something works :-)

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...

"Through counterintelligence it should be possible to pinpoint potential
troublemakers and neutralize them..."
-- Wake Up by Rage Against The Machine