On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Michael Holt wrote:

> What effect does it have?  It means you can execute hidden files?  If
> that's the case, couldn't you do that anyway - if you knew what the
> filename was?  I suppose just for policy, you would want as few things
> in a users path as possible - is that just what it's about?

What having ":.:" (or its equivalent, "::") in your $PATH does is allow
the current working directory to be included in any search for executable
files. This is (wisely, IMHO) considered to be a security risk, as it can
lead to the execution of a file other than the one you had intended, if
that file has the same name and the ":.:" appears earlier in the PATH than
the directory in which the intended file resides.

Obviously, it is *far* more important that such an entry not be part of
root's PATH than a user's, but it's a risk in the latter case as well.

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"In communities where men build ships for their own sons to fish or