On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 07:43, elPunishar wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 Nov 2003 9:42 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 Nov 2003 9:30 am, elPunishar wrote:
> > > hi everybody,
> > >
> > > i noticed that my 1 gig of ram is getting filled up real quick,
> > > which may be okay since i'm running a lot of programs.
> > > BUT it doesn't come down again even when i close the programs...
> > > memory use just grows and grows (slow but steady), then beginns to
> > > fill up the swap space...
> >
> > Linux uses memory very differently from Windows.  This is normal
> > behaviour, making all memory quickly available at all times.  It
> > dynamically releases memory least likely to be needed whenever
> > something else requires it.  It's nothing to worry about at all.
> >
> > > i hope you don't rip my head off for this, but that behaviour seems
> > > a little window-esque to me...
> > > granted, its a lot slower than on a windows box.
> >
> > It shouldn't be a lot slower.  Things that might affect it are
> >
> > How much RAM have you got?
> >
> > How full is your drive? In a console, type df
> >
> > Is the drive using dma? - try hdparm -d /dev/hda (assuming hda is your
> > drive letter)
> >
> > Paste here what replies you get.
> >
> > Anne
>
> okay, your answer clarifies that. i'm reliefed :)
>
> what i meant was: the process of using up all avalable memory is much slower
> than on windows.
> the machine runs a LOT faster than on windows! :))
>
> output:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# hdparm -d /dev/hda
> /dev/hda:
>  using_dma    =  1 (on)

What sounds a little strange to me is that the system starts filling the
swap space. Given the amount of memory you have (1Gb) it shouldn't use
the swap space (unless you have a lot of processes running
simultaneously).

I have read about some problems when using more than 768 Mb ram and the
advise has always been passing "mem=860" at the lilo prompt or in
lilo.conf.

Just my 2 cents.

Adolfo