On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 01:30, elPunishar wrote:
> hi everybody,
>
> i noticed that my 1 gig of ram is getting filled up real quick, which may be
> okay since i'm running a lot of programs.
> BUT it doesn't come down again even when i close the programs... memory use
> just grows and grows (slow but steady), then beginns to fill up the swap
> space...

memory at 80% full is normal disk caching, and Windows does it too (they
just don't report it). Growing usage and using swap may not be normal
though. Try running top and pressing M to sort by memory usage, then
watch it. You may have an app leaking memory.
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...

"I couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't do wrong, not sure what it is I'd
be saving you from... heaven's blue and it's vaulted white, every breath
you take takes mine, gotta see it's no good leaving it up to me to make
you happy."
-- Hanging By Strands from Homeless Where The Heart Is by Barbara
Manning and the Go-Luckys!