On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 06:57, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 November 2003 08:29 am, Glenn Burkhardt wrote:
> > Now I'll have to beat the "Sparenberg" drum - this clearly deserves a bug
> > report.  I can't do it yet, since I've just ordered my 9.2 boxed set, and
> > don't have 9.2 installed on any systems.
>
> A bug report probably will get ignored because I don't think there is anybody
> really maintaining this package for Mandrake since it was moved to contrib,
> that is, unless you'd like to volunteer.
>
> Contrib packages are packaged by volunteers and contributed.  They are not
> maintained by MandrakeSoft, so a bug report is useless unless there is
> somebody that is going to fix linuxconf to work with Mandrake.

I'd also like to point out that it was dropped for a good reason, which
is that it is Evil Incarnate(TM). The problem with Linuxconf is that it
maintains its own config and pushes those to the actual config when it
gets around to it. This means you can make changes to the real config
files which will be ignored and clobbered by the next Linuxconf run.

If you want a pointy-clicky config interface and you don't like
DrakConf, use Webmin -- it doesn't have that problem. It's also better
at handling complex config than DrakConf. DrakConf is very good at
things like X, but I agree that its network config is... questionable.
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...

"Driving around up and down Division Street, I used to like it here --
just bums me out to remember. Can't you do anything nice? I think I'm
going to make the same mistake twice."
-- punch and judy from either/or by Elliott Smith