Thomas Abthorpe wrote:

On November 2, 2008 08:01:38 pm FBSD1 wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Chad Perrin
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2008 12:40 PM
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Is KDE4 usable on FreeBSD?

Ok now that you have all let off steam about the off topic of desktop
verses ms/windows lets return the meaning of the  original poster.

        I spent this weekend playing with kde4 as root and had problems with it
not working.
        Could not change the displayed time to from 20.00.00 to 8:00PM
When I changed the resolution from the default to 800x600 and the refresh
rate to 60.0 many of the applications did not auto fit to the new setting
and the change would not carry over between logons.
Some times the desktop just froze up and had to do alt-ctrl-backspace to
force return to command line.
When I changed the font type and size to use, the change would not carry
over between logons.
Could not find a way to remove items from the menu.
Some icons would not display at all.
Koffice was missing.
Not all the application use the new window format which has the option to
return to menu that launched it. Only has x out to return to desktop
screen.

Bottom line is imho kde4 is not stable, is not ready for general use. Needs
more development and testing. Should only be contained in the development
ports category.

I submit to the court of pulic opinion that KDE4 *IS* stable on FreeBSD. I would encourage you to check out the following resources

http://freebsd.kde.org
http://wiki.freebsd.org/KDE4

Certainly, if my word is not good enough, the nice folks over at PC-BSD, http://www.pcbsd.org, sure have bundled up a nice package based on FreeBSD 7 and KDE4.

Thomas

I have used KDE-4 While some of the graphics are much better looking, I thought it lacked some functionality. These are minor issues but several of the old (KDE 3.5.X) control panel options were not available (or I couldn't find them) and figuring out where to set certain options was not that intuitive for me. I never found a central location for settings, it seemed that each control (menu, taskbar, etc) had it's own 'right click' sort of settings page. The small thing that truly bugged me is that I normally only display programs for the current desktop in the taskbar, but there was a small control that you could select that would display all windows on all desktops (I forget its official name). I used it alot to make sure I didn't forget something running, etc. I couldn't find this taskbar control in KDE 4. The other problems I had dealt with thrid-party programs. There is no (at least as of a few months ago) K3B for KDE-4 and no FreeBSD port of Ktorrent for KDE-4. I tried the linux port but had lots of problems. Also, to start you need to give an explicit path, something like /usr/local/kde-4/bin/startkde in the .xinitrc file. (at least I could never get anything else to work) I ultimately changed back to the 3.5.9(?) version from packages. I am using an intel quad core running amd64 FreeBSD 7.0 Release

Hope this helps.

Mark Moellering