Hi Eric,

I only now saw your earlier email with your detailed ideas how to approach the
question.

I would only need letters a-z to be shifted.

> On 08.02.2024, at 23:18, Eric Auer via Freedos-user
> <freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> But if you
> are happy with just the most mainstream keys acting in that
> "long press means shift" style and only while no actual
> ctrl, shift, alt or similar modifier keys are pressed, it
> should be quite feasible to implement this.

-> I use codepage 850, i.e. ASCII extended central European, so the UMLAUTE äöü
shifted would be a bonus ;) …

> Note that you will also have to manipulate the autorepeat
> functionality of the keyboard or BIOS. For example our
> MODE CON RATE=... DELAY=... command shows how to do this.
> It just uses BIOS function int 16.0305, no low-level trick.

I use a TIPRO programmable keyboard which lets me switch off autorepeat per
key.
I prefer to switch it off in general, to avoid accidental letter-repeating...

> You can also think of the driver keeping track of WHICH
> key is in progress of being pressed for longer, for extra
> control over the interaction of typematics and autoshift.
>
> Regards, Eric

Thanks, best regards, Thomas