Well,

If I were making something to support typing those extra/alternate characters,
the driver would probably behave like this…

Normal typing and continuous key press would behave as normal. This includes
key repeating at the set typographic rate.

I would implement some of the techniques used in my gaming engine to support
keys that are not supported by DOS and DOS programs. By default, it would
probably bind to the Fn (Function) key. However, could be changed to any
physical key such as the Win, Left-Alt, Right-Shift. Or even very special keys
like Play, WWW, Search, etc.

When the Fn (The default bound key)  was pressed, the driver would wait for
another key such as “a”. Each time the letter “a” was pressed it would cycle
through the special keys configured for Fn+a. These combinations could be
different for Shift+Fn+a. The cycling would just involve sending a Backspace
then the New Key. When the user finally released the Fn key, the system should
continue processing keys normally.

The driver would also probably support longer key sequences and macros. Like
possibly Fn+Ctrl+D could type out the current date.

The driver could include “accessibility” support. When enabled, do things like
disable autorepeat and AUTOSHIFT letters when the key is held down. Plus allow
making Fn sticky. Press once for special combinations, press again to go back
to normal. Etc.

This is all stuff I’ve considered adding directly to the V8Turbo Command
Interpreter/Shell. Along with support for different such mappings based on what
program is running.

Hopefully, I’ll find the time to return to it’s development at some point. I
want to restructure it to make it even more efficient before continuing much
further. I just don’t have the spare time at present.

:-)

Jerome