I wrote the article, but I haven't used this QEMU feature for a long
time. I found that the "live" access to the folder could be
problematic (sometimes no problem .. typically slow .. crashed QEMU a
few times) but that was several years ago and the QEMU folks may have
fixed that issue by now.

Now, I use a virtual disk image for QEMU. After I shut down the
FreeDOS guest, I can "mount" the virtual disk as a non-privileged
Linux user with guestfstools, and manage files like I normally would.
If the image file is "$img" and the mount point is "$mnt" (such as
/tmp/freedos) then run this:

guestmount -a $img -m /dev/sda1 $mnt

And when you're done, you can unmount it with this:

guestunmount $mnt

Also: You don't have to run QEMU as root (with sudo). I never do.

Jim