https://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/Main_Page
How do I install FreeDOS?
FreeDOS for everyone:
"We recommend using a PC emulator or virtual machine to install FreeDOS.
If you don't want to install, you can boot the LiveCD to try it out."

And

What do I need to run FreeDOS?
"If you are new to DOS, we recommend you use a PC emulator or Virtual
machine such as VirtualBox to install and boot FreeDOS. You can find PC
emulators for all computer platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac.)"

Again, on the FreeDOS wiki page concerning installing FreeDOS, vague
instructions, "We recommend using a PC emulator or virtual machine to
install FreeDOS.", with the subsequent emulator and virtual machine
links leading to blank pages.

Based on Jim Hall's FreeDOS book, I suggest adding his apparently
preferred virtual machine qemu here, so users are not left hanging
researching multiple DOS emulators/virtual machines.  I think the
respective links for emulators and virtual machines on the FreeDOS Wiki
page were likely suppose to contain the data I recently wrote about
within the past Emails, concerning DOSEMU/DOSEMU2, Qemu, and Bochs.  As
well as including Qemu incantations for running on Linux and other O/S.
However, obviously documenting all  possible incantations for every O/S
becomes overwhelming!

The FreeDOS wiki oddly negates mentioning Qemu, referencing only
VirtualBox instead.

Shrugs... no big deal, just probably an area needing clarification for
others!

Roger