> On Fri, May 10, 2024 at 04:43:06PM +0100, Liam Proven via Freedos-user wrote:
>On Thu, 9 May 2024 at 22:20, Roger via Freedos-user
><freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
>> >They also have pre-compiled packages for Fedora and OpenSUSE.
>> >No manual compilation is needed for either of the 3 distros.
>>
>> Already know about these pre-package options for SystemD Linux
>> distributions.
>
>Whoa there.
>
>Fedora and the Red Hat family, yes: no choice but systemd. Ditto
>openSUSE. But dosemu2 also offers `.deb` packages and there are
>several non-systemd Debian-family distros, including Devuan, antiX and
>MX Linux.

I use none of those distribution, although I have tried Devuan and
antix, especially just prior to switching from Gentoo to Void Linux
several years ago for avoiding wasting time compiling packages.

>I also note:
>
>https://www.reddit.com/r/voidlinux/comments/hqm7z2/xdeb_a_simple_utility_to_convert_debian_packages/

Not a recommended official Void Linux practice, of using a utility (eg.
xdeb) for converting one distribution's pre-compiled packages to another
distribution's package, due to breaking compile-time dependencies and
run-time dependencies.  The other problem, most other pre-compiled
packages or tarballs improperly will install into /usr, rather than
using /usr/local for third party packages not native to the Linux
distribution being used.  This later is sort of being organized, and
most times not easily worked around due to files expecting /usr rather
than /usr/local. (eg.  libraries)

Nature of the beast here. :-/

Anyways, Word Perfect 6.2 is working using Dosbox Staging, albeit
without copy/paste, as I think the copy/paste function likely works for
Dosemu.  And, have dosbox auto starting with word perfect, using bash
alias:

alias wp='dosbox -conf /home/roger/dosbox/wp.conf'

Anyways, I'm way off-topic...