On Tue, 14 May 2024 at 05:01, Jerome Shidel via Freedos-user
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Those aren’t even the good versions of MS-DOS.

Agreed!

> I think if they were serious, they would release 3.3, 5.0 and 6.22. It feels
> like they are only placating to the open source community.

Agreed on all counts.

However, DOS 4 is a little more than a token effort. Together with
386Max or something, it could still be useful today, more so than DOS
3.3, perhaps. But only a very little more.

I think, applying Hanlon's Razor here, that this was a chance
discovery by someone else, and led to the release. Microsoft is not
willing to go to even the minimal effort of searching its own archives
for the other versions to release them, but if someone else finds the
code, it will permit the release under a permissive licence.

It's not much but it's better than nothing.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com