Personally, I have zero interest in any on the versions of DOS that Microsoft
has open sourced.

Versions 1.25, 2.0 and 4.0. Really? Those aren’t even the good versions of
MS-DOS. I think if they were serious, they would release 3.3, 5.0 and 6.22. It
feels like they are only placating to the open source community.

But, maybe I’m wrong. Maybe they don’t own all the code in those versions. Or,
maybe they’ve lost the sources. Even I have programs I wrote from back in that
era to which I no longer have the sources.

Even when it comes to the “good” versions, I have no interest in how they did
things.

Sure, I own a copy of MS-DOS 6.22 the last version of MS-DOS. I even own PC-DOS
7.01 (with the upgraded files for 7.10). But, I really only use those for
compatibility testing of software. Oh, and maybe a little nostalgia.

But as for the actual code they used, I don’t care. The FreeDOS kernel and
FreeCOM make for a far more capable Operating System. With the support for more
RAM, larger drives and partitions it is a much more useful DOS than either MS
or PC.

If I were interested in kernel development, I would study the FreeDOS kernel. I
would spend my time figuring out how it could be improved. As for FreeCOM, I
have my own ideas on what a modern command line shell should be like. But
generally, FreeCOM is fine. Any bugs should work themselves out eventually.

:-)

Jerome