That attitude toward the MS-DOS source code seems rather limiting and
short-sighted.

My recent device driver worked well enough on later versions of DOS (and
FreeDOS) but I was having a devil of a time trying to figure out why DOS
2.x would not honor the device driver telling it that the media had been
changed.  Having the source code available allowed me to find a bug in DOS
2.x, and also cleared up several documentation questions (more like
outright problems).

Being compatible with all flavors of DOS should matter to anybody writing
user code, device drivers, or even FreeDOS developers trying to improve the
appeal of FreeDOS.

MS has no need to placate the open source community, especially with old
versions of DOS.  This is somebody's passion project. I look forward to
when the source code to DOS 3.3 or DOS 5.0 are released.