On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM, <koltzenb...@w4w.net> wrote:

> fair enough,
> the "versus" reads a little strange to me in this context but never mind
> ;-)
>
> in my view of the matter, and my thanks to Laura for filling in with a few
> concrete examples, taking positive
> action in this context would mean, I guess, to stop talking about any
> numbers that we might have to
> consider to be harmful - precisely: harmful for swift and wonderful
> encouragement for *positive* action

I don't think it is a case of talking about harmful actions, but making
sure if we're going to act on research, we understand the research
methodologies and their weakness... and that if we're working towards
solutions and needing to do research to understand a problem in order to do
something, we talk about best research practices for conducting that
research. :)  A lot of people, especially in a grant funding context, may
need research to validate their willingness to fund action.  This is when
things matter A LOT.  Listening to what those people tells you is even more
important.  My government contacts ask ROI for investing on Wikipedia and I
say page views.  They say not good enough: Develop a new metric.  Thus, I
do.

On a side note for interesting data I've come across....  I was telling
some one that page views matter and one of the reasons I like English
Wikinews more than editing English Wikipedia is you can see an immediate
result and impact by covering a topic that gets little coverage.  I went to
look at the numbers as I've been working rather hard on Australian water
polo news this month.

This is the following list of articles I have ever written about the
Australian women's national water polo team and their page views on English
Wikinews for the past 30 days:

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Australian_Stingers_stung_by_US_at_FINA_World_League_Final_gold_medal_match
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Australian_women_to_meet_USA_in_water_polo%27s_FINA_Women%27s_World_League_Super_Finals_gold_medal_game-
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Australia_women%27s_water_polo_team_into_FINA_Women%27s_World_League_Super_Finals_semi_finals-
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Australia_women%27s_water_polo_team_into_FINA_Women%27s_World_League_Super_Finals_quarter_finals-
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Australian_women_win_VISA_Water_Polo_International-
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Australian_women%27s_water_polo_team_takes_test_series_against_Great_Britain-

Compare that to the Wikipedia article about the team:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_women%27s_national_water_polo_team -

If I include every article about the national team, I get closer to those
Wikinews totals:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoe_Arancini - 195  views
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemma_Beadsworth - 469 views
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowena_Webster - 367 views
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holly_Lincoln-Smith - 357 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronwen_Knox - 358 views
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Gynther - 271 views
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannah_Buckling - 221 views
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Brown_(water_polo) - 315 views
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobel_Bishop - 351 views
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alicia_McCormack - 320 views
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Moran - 258 views
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencora_Ralph - 225 views
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melissa_Rippon - 242 views
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Smith - 323 views
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashleigh_Southern - 230 views
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelsey_Wakefield - 168 views
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicola_Zagame - 447 views
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_McFadden - 162 views

6,486 total views spread out across 19 articles compared to roughly 5,700
views spread out across six articles.  I love my Wikipedia work, but it
feels better recognised and, at times, more lasting on Wikinews than
Wikipedia.  As some one writing about women, there are just more ways and
easier ways to do this on Wikinews, plus more page views and original
research.

--
twitter: purplepopple
blog: ozziesport.com