On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 1:29 AM, Adam Wight <s...@ludd.net> wrote:

> It's obviously too early to dismantle a gender equality project however.
> Maybe I can point to another factoid which demonstrates a generative,
> systematic bias: only 20% of notable person biographies on WP are about
> women [1].

This number feels isolated, too big and there are obvious holes.  A lot of
articles don't describe gender.  I'd be curious as to which methods are
being done to identify which articles are about women versus which articles
are about men?  More importantly, I'd like to see these numbers broken
down.  I strongly suspect in certain geographic and topic areas, there is
much more likely to be parity than in other areas.  (Olympic medalists from
2008 are probably covered in terms of existence equally well.  I would
guess the number of male softball players would be UNDER represented as a
function of notability.  I'd also guess women from Africa are less likely
to have articles if they are notable than say women from the United
States.)  This sort of in-depth look is probably MORE important at the end
of the day than the 20% because it gives a clear path to guidance of areas
to fix.

>  IMO, recruiting more women editors is an excellent way to
> combat that bias, because it doesn't presuppose we know how to fix the
> problem... only that we know some people who can do the job.

At the end of the day, I'd need to see data which supports this as a
theory.  I've been involved in the fan fiction writing community for more
years than I would care to count before taking a two year break.  The
community probably has the inverse gender proportion of English Wikipedia.
One of the CONTINUAL problems is that women do not write about female
characters.  They often ignore them.  More women write male/male erotica
inside the female dominated fan fiction community than women write
female/female erotica.  (And in some communities, female writers of
male/male fan fiction outnumber the female writers of male/female fan
fiction inside a specific fan community.)  I know of a few female
contributors who edit sport articles, but rarely edit women's sport
articles.

Do you have any data to back up the theory that women will write women's
content?

Sincerely,
Laura Hale
--