On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:55 AM, Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Laura is proposing the building of a dataset from publicly accessible
> information, and my comment relates to what information she will be able to
> derive from the publicly stated genders of the users working in the
> research topic area.

I'm not going to do any research on women's participation if the postdoc
paper work goes through. :)  Who participates is probably completely
irrelevant to my research.  Rather, the question is: What influence does
Wikipedia have CONTENT WISE on people's thought formation on a topic?  In
this case, the topic is narrowly defined as women's sport in Australia.

If an article is written by men or women, it is unlikely to impact the
overall perception of what people think of a topic unless there is some
adequate theory being put forth based on research that in the case of
Australian women's sport articles, the gender of the participants / editors
impacts on content in such a way as to do that on scale.  (For example,
I've been one of the major writers of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauren_Jackson and from the names involved, I
am pretty certain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Stosur has been
written mostly by male contributors.  Is there anything that would make you
go FEMALE and MALE written article that if you were reading articles in
your sport specific niche, these styles would impact your point of view
about Wikipedia as a whole?  I just don't think I've seen anything like
that.  In another area, if we were comparing articles about pornography to
articles about education, maybe.)

Sincerely,
Laura Hale

--