The reason I asked to discuss here is to ascertain whether or not there
seems to be a different set of notability standards by gender.

I encourage students to contribute to Wikipedia.
But when notability is an editor's decision with so many exceptions...how
do you encourage?

Really, I am careful and if a book by a brilliant woman like Zoe Wicomb
causes notability queries..how, on earth, can this gender gap be addressed?

Here is Ms. Wicomb's prize announcement at Yale.
http://windhamcampbell.org/2013/winner/zo%C3%AB-wicomb