Hi Kathleen,

I suppose you are writing about this revision (or thereabouts):
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=October_(novel)&direction=next&oldid=617753940

A notability tag is not a "Scarlet A": it is merely a sign that the
notability of the topic hasn't been sufficiently asserted.

The best way to avoid it?

Choose multiple, clear, independent sources.
Check the subject-specific notability guidelines. For books, for instance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability_(books)

Given a revision with two sources, one from a little-known site called "we
love this book", it's unsurprising! Remember that editors come from all
backgrounds and we don't all know as much as/the same things as you!

I've thought a lot about notability, as a researcher, so if you want to
talk more about it, let me know!

-Jodi