On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 7:46 PM, Pete Forsyth <petefors...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you're looking to have the students engage with Wikipedia's systemic
> bias, I think it might be more worthwhile to have them evaluate existing
> deletion debates (and similar discussions) -- rather than having them
> contribute directly to Wikipedia.

That's an interesting idea, Pete! If that sounds like a meaningful
classroom exercise, I'd be happy to get involved.

My dissertation research used deletion debates as a case study -- the
Research Newsletter has a couple of writeups here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Newsletter/2012/September#cite_ref-11
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Newsletter/2013/May#In_brief

I think it would be easier for them to look at a larger number of cases,
> and observe without having their personal attachment to an article come
> into play, if they read stuff that they haven't been involved in.

Detachment certainly helps!

Another way to look at systemic bias is to connect to current research
about how
- geographic coverage varies
- language editions have different depths and coverage

Happy to talk further if that interests anybody...

-Jodi