Hi Janine,

Of the links that you mentioned I was only able to get one of them to work,
but I searched for friendlier IRC clients and I think I've found one. It's
called Kiwi IRC. I'll ask the Freenode people what they think about
changing their default web client to Kiwi. If they want to keep their
current client it may still be possible for Wikimedia to change the default
chat client used when people connect directly from English Wikipedia to
#wikipedia-en-help.

Pine