On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Carol Moore dc <carolmoor...@verizon.net>
wrote:

>  But thank you for the good comments below mine, but must reply to your
> introductory remarks...
>
> On 11/26/2014 9:43 AM, Andreas Kolbe wrote:

> That's a slightly simplistic summary, eliding the fact that Eric C. is
> also very often non-toxic, and has a long history of collaborating in a
> very professional and respectful manner with many diverse women editors to
> bring a large number of articles to good or featured status.
>
> **He still disrupted the GGTF with his friends in order to stop it having
> an influencing in increasing civility or harassment enforcement.

That's why I agree with Newyorkbrad that he should be topic-banned from the
GGTF pages. But really, if you want to have a meaningful discussion of
this, on-wiki is not the right place, as it is with so many of these
issues. The signal-to-noise ratio is appalling, and the end result is a
waste of time.

>   A good number of those women spoke up for him on the Proposed Decision
> talk page. And even more women took issue with the way the gender gap is
> often framed here.
>
> *Women editors will have different views, but if the main reason they come
> is to support one or more males who call women cunts,

He didn't. I won't get into that whole long discussion here; all I had to
say about this is on the proposed decision talk page, and anyone who is
interested can read it up there.

> sorry if they don't have much credibility.
>

> By here you mean this email list or GGTF?  If you study the GGTF timeline
> and archives you'll see that some of the most rediculous proposals were
> made by males and rejected, but thrown up as "typical" of what GGTF wanted;
> there were three editors there just to harass two women editors; the
> opponents kept knocking the project and everything said by good faith
> participants to the point supporters either stopped commenting or got angry
> and told them to quit it - over and over again.

I meant both here and at the GGTF. If you have a number of very capable
women contributors – people who actually have contributed significant
amounts of quality content – saying that they can't identify with the way
the issue is being framed by the Foundation and those spearheading the
gender gap effort, then not listening and entering a dialogue with those
people is a missed opportunity.

>    Note also that when Eric spoke of alienating male contributors, this
> was in the specific context of affirmative actions (which even those
> proposing them warned carried a risk of provoking a backlash). Two
> arbitrators had the decency to oppose that finding of fact based on the
> omission of that context.
>
> *Yeah, a male came up with a proposal that two males had to OK and revert
> of an (alleged) female editor. That didn't fly, but we kept hearing about
> it and had to thrash the arbitrators with diffs til they realized it was a
> strawman pushed by Corbett and crew.  You didn't get the memo?
>
> But the good news is if Corbett does it again, he's in trouble.  I have
> predicted from the start I (and later Neotarf) would be the sacrificial
> lambs offered up to keep Corbett's supporters from going crazy if even the
> mildest of sanctions was imposed.  (I've heard that ast time Corbett got a
> strong sanction several high profile admins quit, started petitions, all
> sorts of shenanigans to disrupt the project.) I still think that is so and
> told them so....

I am a supporter of both Eric and you, inasmuch as you're both spirited
people and I didn't wish to see either of you site-banned.

The whole thing is quite a spectacular breakdown in communication. The term
"Arbitration Committee" is really an egregious misnomer. They never
actually arbitrate: all they do is punish.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Commiserations.

Best,
Andreas