> On 17 Aug 2017, at 12:40, Todd Goodman <t...@bonedaddy.net> wrote:
>
> I use AWS instances extensively at work and they have been incredibly
> reliable and after initially learning the tools they're very convenient to
> manage (IMNHO of course.)
>
> I've used the AWS free tier EC2 to set up a Gentoo instance using a public
> AMI to base it on.  It worked OK and I'm certain I could have figured out how
> to set it up from scratch too.
>
> The free tier is a micro instance which may or may not suit your purposes.
> It's probably fine for a mail server and low traffic web server.

Many thanks, that's very helpful.

So AWS instances work like any other VM? I can ssh into them, install packages
on them and so on?

You mentioned the AWS free tier - if I use one of those, can I be sure that it
won't exceed the usage limits without billing me?

Linode were mentioned by a couple of people in the previous thread, too. They
seem like the logical choice, but if I can use AWS for free, that would be
better. ;)

Stroller.