On 07/04/2024 13:07, Michael wrote:
On Sunday, 7 April 2024 12:04:32 BST Wols Lists wrote:
On 07/04/2024 11:48, Wols Lists wrote:
On 07/04/2024 11:23, Michael wrote:
On Sunday, 7 April 2024 11:21:00 BST Wols Lists wrote:
On 07/04/2024 11:00, Wols Lists wrote:
What do I do here - "emerge binutils" (step 9) wants to emerge gcc,
which the instructions say "emerge AFTER binutils".

With gcc it says "don't let it emerge glibc", should I apply the same
logic and not let binutils emerge gcc?

Just to follow up to myself, I've just done a complete update, but a lot
of the dependencies are pulled in by "change-use", namely lzma, zstd. Is
that fallout from the XZ debacle? Would a --no-deps be safe?

Cheers,
Wol

Are you still on your original profile, or have you used eselect to
change it
to profile 23.0?

If the latter, change back to your old profile, update @world,
depclean and
then start with the rest of the migration instructions.

Just done that. See my other email.

NOTHING TO UPDATE (unless I've messed up my emerge ...)

Interesting ... just done this under the old profile ...

thewolery /usr/local/bin # emerge --ask --oneshot sys-devel/binutils

Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 3.19 s (backtrack: 0/20).

Nothing to merge; quitting.

Cheers,
Wol

Hmm ... something is amiss with your system.  Normally you would get this:

# emerge --ask --oneshot sys-devel/binutils

Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 1.30 s (backtrack: 0/20).

[ebuild   R    ] sys-devel/binutils-2.41-r5

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

Did you emerge any packages using the new 23.0 profile, then went back to the
old profile to run the above command?

No ...

Ummm ... I have had trouble emerging other stuff that didn't want to work with oneshot ...

Let me look at my make.conf - I had to over-ride something to get vbox-modules to emerge, this is probably the same thing ...

Yup - as soon as I comment the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS out I get it asking me if I want to emerge binutils.

# EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS = "--buildpkg --deep --newuse --oneshot --usepkg"

So I'm doing an emerge @world now with the old profile ...

Cheers,
Wol