Michael wrote:
> On Saturday, 13 April 2024 08:58:50 BST Dale wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> As most likely know, I have a older box I use for backups.  The hard
>> drives are encrypted which likes the CPU to have AES support.  The
>> Phenom CPUs don't seam to support AES from what I've seen.  The specs
>> for the mobo says the mobo does support the FX-6300 CPU tho which has
>> AES support.  Since the biggest thing I use that system for is my
>> backups, would it be better to have the FX-6300 CPU which supports AES
>> or the Phenom 1090T?  Mobo only shows it supports the FX-6300 and no
>> other FX series CPU.  Could be that it doesn't support anything else,
>> could be the list hasn't been updated.  I dunno.
>>
>> Given the FX-6300 has a higher clocks speed, 3.8GHz versus 3.2GHz for
>> the Phenom, I'd think the FX would be a upgrade, quite a good one at
>> that.  More L2 cache too.  Both are 6 cores according to what I found.
>> Anyone know something I don't that would make switching to the FX-6300 a
>> bad idea?
>>
>> https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-770T-USB3-rev-10/support#support->
>>  cpu
>>
>> You may have to click on CPU support to see it.  Sometimes it goes to it
>> directly, sometimes not.  :/
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> I can't find where the link you provide mentions FX-6300, an AM3+ socket CPU,
> being compatible with GA-770T-USB3-rev-10, an AM3 socket MoBo.  The FX-6300
> would definitely be a noticeable upgrade (higher base and boost frequency,
> plus AES crypto), assuming you can find a MoBo to fit it on.  You'll probably
> find the cost of buying just the CPU of unknown provenance, which may well
> have been cooked with overclocking, will more or less equal the cost of
> buying
> a suitable MoBo + CPU + RAM already assembled.  Or even a whole PC ready to
> run:
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/166707210724
>
> You could get a better result if you start with a budget in mind and then
> fish
> for the best performance combo you can bag with it.

Your right.  I misread that somehow.  Good thing I asked.  I could have
ordered a CPU that won't fit.  It's a FX-4130 I should be looking at.
No idea where I got the FX-6300 from.  As you point out, it's not listed
on the specs page.  Still, the FX-4130 shows a faster clock and other
stuff I mentioned except it has 4 cores instead of 6.  I got it right
except for the model of the CPU.  According to this page it supports AES
for encryption as well.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/cpu/amd-fx-series-processors/amd-fx-4-core-black-edition-processors/fx-4130#!

Now that I got the right model of CPU, still be a improvement?  I'm
mostly wanting to use this mobo I already have.  I just wish the
encryption was faster.  The loss of two cores may slow it down a lot,
despite having AES built in.

Dale

:-)  :-)