The reason for selecting WebKitGtk is the Gtk: It had WebKitWebView and was
supported in most distros and Mingw.

The Mozilla team seem to have stopped maintaining their embedding facility
around 2015 and it is apparently badly bit-rotted.

Blink is Chromium's rendering engine so that's the same as Sherlock's suggested
CEF, i.e. Chromium Embedded Framework. It supports Gtk only on Linux; on macOS
and Windows it build to the native toolkits, so we'd have to hack the build to
provide Gtk3 on macOS and Windows. There's no mention of support for MinGW, so
that might not be possible. The level of effort needed both to get and keep the
ports working might make it impractical even if it is possible, but the only
way to find that out is to try.

Note that while most repos have a Chromium package, only Arch and Nix have CEF
packages. Adding it as a GnuCash dependency is likely to get most distros to
drop us, so nearly everybody on Linux/BSD would be forced to use flatpak.

Regards,
John Ralls