Op woensdag 13 juni 2018 02:40:25 CEST schreef DaveC49:
> Hi Frank & David T ,
>
> Thanks for the info re the main page. I will try and hook into the Wiki
> Installation page as you suggest and have a go at making the build
> instructions friendlier for general users and split off a more specific page
> for developer builds. i will then link that back to the pages on the maint
> and master branches, pull requests etc for mods etc. It is possibly better
> to leave the building from git with the developers pages. I'll  reformulate
> a version of the disclaimer for the user build pages. It will possibly be
> the weekend before I get to it unless insomnia strikes

Hi David C,

Thanks for looking into this.

It think the differences between a developer build (from git) or a release
build are limited only to getting the source tree set up.
For a git build that means cloning a repository and checking out the right git
branch, for a release build you untar the tarball.

Do you think this requires a separate page ?

Thinking some more, the dependencies may drift apart between the stable branch
('maint' in git and also used for generating release tarballs) and the
development branch ('master' in git). So at some point the two branches may
need different documentation on dependencies.

The only other difference I can think of is that you may or may not want the
build to include debug symbols. That is one different option to set while
running cmake. But this can be useful in both a user build or a developer
build.

Regards,

Geert