Whatever the actual character count limit is for the memo field in a
transaction line, I have found the practical limit is what can be printed
in reports that show that field.  On the computer screen you cannot
directly see anything that is after a linefeed character unless you scroll
past that character since the 'window' is one line tall.

I do not use business features so I don't have invoices or vendors.
Another possibility would be to use spreadsheets and refer to them in the
document link field.  I don't remember if that is associated with
individual lines or to the entire transaction.

On Sun, Mar 3, 2024 at 9:13 PM Alan Johnson via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user@gnucash.org> wrote:

> I suggest you put your handyman in as a vendor. Then you can create a bill
> with long descriptions per item, and then pay the bill with a check. If you
> want to see what was paid, right click on the payment entry in the register
> and choose jump to invoice/bill. You can also run a vendor report.
>
> Mar 3, 2024 18:39:49 Tim via gnucash-user <gnucash-user@gnucash.org>:
>
> > The descriptions that I enter in GNU cash for split items get truncated.
> Is
> > there a way to change this or is this a hard limit?
> >

> > To provide some context, I pay a handyman to work on various projects.
> When
> > I write the check to pay him I split the amount among the various
> projects
> > (which correspond to line items on his timesheet)that he worked on to
> > allocated it to the different expense accounts associated with those
> > projects. I like to enter a fairly long description which includes things
> > like the date the work was done, the location, and a brief description of
> > what was done but GNU cash truncates it when producing reports or when I
> go
> > back and look at data that I entered earlier.
> >

> > Should I be setting up an account for the handyman in which the line
> items
> > of his timesheet would be entered as individual transactions which add
> up to
> > the amount he gets paid? I get the impression that I'm probably trying to
> > misuse GNU cash again as I was when I paid my credit card bills with long
> > split transactions. I was able to fix that by entering the transactions
> in
> > an account for the credit card and then having a single transaction from
> my
> > bank account to pay off the credit card. I'm not adept enough at
> accounting,
> > to put it mildly, to know if there's something analogous I should be
> doing
> > in this case. Can you explain it in a way that a newbie would understand?
> >

> > Thank you

David Carlson