I use GNUCash for tracking rental properties as well. You can create as
many expense accounts to track to whatever level of detail is needed.

For example, I have my structure set up as:
Expenses:
Overall R&M
-Property 1 R&M
--Property 1 HVAC
--Property1 General
--Property 1 Electrical
--etc

-Property 2 R&M
--Property 2 HVAC
--Property 2 General
--Property 2 Electrical
--etc

When you run a P&L at the end of the year, it will break out how much
was in each expense category, as well as a total for each property.

Not a CPA or legal advice, but I understand that if you are paying
payroll to employees, you still need to pay payroll tax unless they are
their own business/1099, in which they should be paying their taxes
accordingly.

You can assign as many line items and expense accounts/line items to
the invoices as you need. That's their intended function.  You can also
pay line items into an asset or liability account (such as witheld
taxes).

Your handyman should provide you with a bill (or a work order).

- Fixed property 1's toilet. 1 hr@ $x

You create a vendor in the vendor system (Handyman LLC)
Create an invoice
Line item - Toilet repair $x Account: Expenses:Property1 R&M:Property1
Plumbing
Line Item - Outlet repair $y Account: Expenses:Property1 R&M:Property1
Electrical
Line Item - Door knob repair $z Account: Expenses: Property2 R&M:
Property2:General
Total $A
- Post invoice

Vendors -> Process Payment

Pay Handyman LLC $A from Assets:RentalCheckingAccount with check 1234