Combined with the other suggestions of an outside log file, using vendor bills, or using the Notes field, consider this:

If you are advised of work as it occurs, record transactions between the expense accounts and a liability account named something like "Work Payable". Put your detail in each transaction. (either in the Memo, Notes, or as an attached file)

When you issue payment, that will be a transaction for the present balance (or some subset thereof) of the Work Payable account. This is similar to how a credit card account is used. You accumulate the amounts owed, then pay it.

If you simply get a time sheet with multiple days of work and projects at once (say weekly) then probably just the log file will work.

Also, you can use the Action field on each split however you like. This might be a good place for the date if you are putting one project/day on each split line and will free up characters for the Memo.

Finally, you can simply enter additional splits with text in the Memo and not putting an amount. But if you don't select an account, it will default to Orphan. You might want to create an 'account' for "Notes". It can be anywhere in your tree as it isn't a real account. (though under Expenses work well since it is descriptive of expenses) You can also enter transactions with these notes only and no amounts at all. (at least one split should be assigned to a real account, either an expense, or the payment source) You can see the full transaction either with the Split button, using View > Auto-Split, or View > Transaction Journal.

p.s.—kudos for wanting to record as much info about a transaction as possible. At some point, you'll invariably want to move/re-assign some transactions to different accounts than you originally used. And that is near impossible without sufficient info.