Just to pick a nit: it was referred to as the MICR line (Magnetic Ink Character
Recognition).  Kinda sounded like MITRE.

-----Original Message-----
From: gnucash-user <gnucash-user-bounces+john.layman=ieee....@gnucash.org> On
Behalf Of David Carlson
Sent: Friday, April 5, 2024 11:15 AM
To: Andrea Bryant <andreabry...@swbell.net>
Cc: gnucash-user@gnucash.org
Subject: Re: [GNC] check printing

Years ago (before electronic payments and deposits) I recall that it was
possible to program GnuCash to print the MITRE line, as it used to be called,
but you needed to use special magnetic ink so that check readers could read
them reliably.  I imagine that it is still possible, but hardly necessary in
the United States, anyway.  I think that you used to get the supplies from a
company called Checksoft.  Back then banks weren't very cooperative because
mistakes could wreak havoc in the clearing houses, and today they would be even
less cooperative due to increased fraud concerns.
If you are really an alum of Southwest Bell, you are probably a U. S.
citizen and probably already using electronic deposits and payments, so I
suspect that your interest may be mostly academic to show your grandchildren.

On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 5:08 AM Andrea Bryant <andreabry...@swbell.net>
wrote:

> I was wondering if you need to use a pre-printed check or can you use
> blank check stock and have the routing and account numbers printed out
> by GnuCash.
> --
> */Andrea Bryant/*

David Carlson