Apologize if this is a duplicate, sometimes I'm not sure if my post
actually gets sent out.  The QIF importer in Gnucash 5.6 gives me the same
error for my credit card import even though the same file works in Quicken
and in Gnucash 5.5.  I had to reinstall Gnucash 5.5.

As an aside, my experience with Quicken is that the qif export doesn't
contain the first four lines, just the transactions.  Without the first
four lines you have to tell Quicken which account to use during a qif
import in order to read in a qif file that you originally exported from
Quicken.  The problem is, not all of you accounts are available for a qif
import.  The trick, after considerable web searching, was to add the first
four lines, as shown below, to a qif file.  Then you can import transaction
data into any account in Quicken.  There is a Quicken qif wiki on the
subject.

The bottom line is, the format of the qif file, with and without the first
lines of the sample qif file below, will both import into Gnucash 5.5.  The
only difference is you don't have to tell Gnucash which account to use, it
is automatically specified in the first four lines.

!Account
NCredit Card Name
TCCard
^
!Type:CCard
Cc
D03/31/2024
MRestaurants
PStarbucks
T-9.53
^

On Sat, Apr 6, 2024 at 6:28 PM Bryan B. <goldenbluesa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've tried several different methods to export a .qif file from quicken and
> import it into GnuCash.
>
> The process of importing the file goes fine until I reach the part where
> the actual import occurs. Then I get this type of message:
>
> "Missing QIF investment action for transaction dated 08/31/2023."
>
> Upon investigation, it would seem that these transactions are from
> automated transfers from my bank account to an IRA fund. I believe these
> are money transfers, where the money is simply transferred without
> explicitly purchasing a security, and then the security is purchased later.
>
> When I opened and examined the .qif file, and did some conversation with
> ChatGPT-4, it would seem that I would have to put a line such as
> "N***XIn***" for each of the offending transactions. I did try that, and
> GnuCash still didn't accept those transactions (that I could see).
>
> Is anyone familiar with this problem already, or have any ideas on how to
> solve it?

iii