I agree with everything you said... but consider the case when one does not
keep receipts and the only information one has is the bank statement and
credit card statement.... wouldn't that drive one to HAVE to enter from the
bank data?  Or suppose one is trying to keep books for a recently widowed
mother whose husband always kept track of the finances. If she is in
another state, the only thing one has to go by is the bank and credit card
statements.

I don't like either of these situations; I think people should ALWAYS keep
receipts for the first case, and in the second case, work out something by
which the person doing the financial work can know what the mother is
spending.  Relying in what's cleared just sounds like trouble waiting to
happen, but I can see cases like the above happening in which people use
the cleared data.