On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 8:42 AM Stan Brown (using GC 4.14) <
stan...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 2024-04-09 01:19, David Carlson wrote:
> > Nearly every time [the bank's] list doesn't match my list, the
> > difference is precisely the difference between when I wrote the check or
> > when I initiated a payment online or when I swiped a card and when they
> > posted the transaction to my account.  That is what we users often
> consider
> > to be the difference between accrual basis vs cash basis.
>
> I must respectfully disagree. That difference is simply timing. It can
> occur whether you are on a cash basis or an accrual basis, but in itself
> it is not a difference between cash and accrual basis.
>
> For example, suppose you have a credit card, and to avoid paying finance
> charge you chose to have your bank automatically pay the latest
> statement balance on the payment due date. How is a restaurant dinner
> recorded when you pay by credit card?
>
> On cash basis, it's not an expense until it's paid. Therefore, _nothing_
> is recorded until the payment date after the statement date after the
> meal. Then you record
>         Dr: Expenses:Restaurant Dining
>         Cr: Assets:Cash in Bank
> and a similar entry for every charge on that month's credit card statement.

Wow - how odd. I would expect to always have two transactions; one when I
dine (either using the date I dined or the date that the credit card charge
went through) - increasing what I owe to the credit card company, and a
second one when the credit card payment is made - reducing my debt to the
credit card company. I guess one could do it the way you say, but it seems
very awkward.