You 'paid' when you 'tendered' the payment. (tender isn't just an offer of payment, but includes acceptance/receipt, which has happened in this case. It does not include cashing/depositing or otherwise processing a negotiable instrument that was tendered as payment.)

How you handle the uncleared check would depend on the amount of the check, the amount of the stop payment fee, the amount of an overdraft fee, and your propensity to skirt a zero balance in the account.

If you *never* get within the amount of the outstanding check as your bank balance, you could likely just add it back.

If you routinely skirt zero, (or within zero and the value of the check) then I'd weigh the stop-payment fee vs. the overdraft fee. But keep in mind, the stop-payment is only one time. The overdraft would be each and every time.

Finally, you can just keep it on your books as-is, always leaving a cushion to avoid overdrafts. When you die, the account will be closed and the funds returned to your heirs. The check could not be honored at that point. (hopefully - better to get legal advice on that one!)