On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 4:37 PM Michael or Penny Novack <
stepbystepf...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 4/9/2024 12:50 PM, R Losey wrote:
> > Thanks; I wasn't sure if those (cash vs accrual) were the correct terms.
> >
> > Legally, are you saying that if I write a check for $50 and send it to my
> > uncle, it's "paid" whether or not he ever cashes it?
> >
> > As as aside, I am actually in this situation; I sent e check many years
> ago
> > to someone who has never cashed it; when I asked about it, the person
> told
> > me that they had no intention of cashing the check, but also couldn't
> find
> > it to return it, so I've been carrying that check now for years. Sadly,
> the
> > cost of issuing a "stop check" is not worth it, and the bank says it will
> > honor a check, no matter how old, so I don't see any way out of this.
>
> What are the laws of your jurisdiction and/or the banking customs? Or
> the rules of your bank as to how long they will consider a check "live"
> (will honor it if presented).

I'm in Texas; I specifically asked the bank and they said that they WOULD
honor the check, regardless of how old it was. This surprised me greatly,
as I worked in a bank in Illinois, and we would hold any check that was
"old" (I think perhaps six months). They suggested I issue a "stop check",
but as I noted, it's not worth it.

> Most places I have ever lived, most banks I have dealt with, have
> definite rules that apply unless the check itself specifies a shorter
> period. Haven't you ever gotten a check marked "void after 60 days" (or
> whatever)

Certainly, but I didn't expect this situation and I didn't write any such
thing on the check.

> Your bank told you WILL HONOR or CAN HONOR? It is common for banks to
> say CAB HONOR to relieve themselves of liability in a case where they
> did honor a check after the date their policy (or jurisdiction laws)
> specify. In other words, "we normally will not honor checks more than
> six months old but can honor a check no matter how old".

I thought they said "WILL HONOR"

> But back to where this started, you paid your uncle on the date you gave
> him that check.

Right, but this wasn't any kind of legal debt; he had visited and done us
some favors, and we tried to thank him by sending him a check. He said he
wouldn't take it, but he couldn't find it to give it back. He may have
thrown it out; he just couldn't remember what he did with it. Thus, I am
still considering an outstanding check, even though it is probably safe to
consider it gone.