On Monday, April 15th, 2024 at 04:40, Jim DeLaHunt <list+gnuc...@jdlh.com>
wrote:

> Hello, Adrien, and welcome to MusicBrainz!

Surely: "... welcome to GnuCash!" ?

> On 2024-04-14 13:03, Adrien Laveau wrote:
>
> > Hello community,
> >
> > I uploaded 5 years worth of bank account transaction to gnu-cash.
> >
> > I would like the apply the same transfer information to all the
> > transactions having the same description and keep applying it
> > automatically to all future transaction.
>

> It sounds like you want to do two different things:
>
> 1. Change the details ("transfer column info") which you have already
> imported into your book file to match your desired contents.
> 2. Ensure that GnuCash uses your desired contents for future
> transactions which you enter into GnuCash using the "same description".
>
> I don't have easy suggestions for #1, except to go through transactions
> one by one and correct them. It may be tedious, but you only have to do
> it once. (I have a difficult suggestion: to edit the GnuCash XML book
> file. This is dangerous but sometimes effective. It requires skills in
> working with XML and file formats.)

As someone who's not completely unfamiliar with editing GnuCash's
XML, I would like to say that doing what you are suggesting you
want to do here, by editing the XML, is going to be a large task,
because you would have to identify the various GUIDs (32 character
strings of text that give you no clue as to what each one is) that,
in the XML file, take the place of what you see, as the transfer
account, in the Register.

As Jim implies, it could be done, but I'm not sure you would want
to.

There may, depending on how cleanly your old data was imported,
be a bit of a "saving grace", as to what you are trying to do,
via an approach that doesn't mean you need to go through ALL
your TXNs one by one. You might still need to address a small
number of outliers.

It does, however, mean "Deleting" some things, but don't stop
reading yet, as it's not as bad as it sounds.

As I understand things, you have ended up with a lot of TXNs that
look like, where Desc1 is the same string every time

scattered across any number of accounts, whereas you want all
those TXNs to be going into a single Transfer account: let's
say, XFR1.

So, I need to assume that, after you imported them, you have a
chart of accounts (and let's assume the transfer accounts are
all Expenses, so as to have a top-level account to work with)
something akin to the following, where all of your imported
TXNs are in one of three NEW transfer accounts, so

Expenses
   +- XFR1
   +- XFR2
   +- XFR3

and that there's nothing but your imported TXNs that have those
new transfer accounts associated with them.

If you ended up importing your old data so that your old TXNs
ended up associated with existing transfer accounts, then stop
reading, as you are going to have to do them, one-by-one.

Still with me?

OK, if you go to Delete account XFR2, you will be asked if you
want to delete all of its TXNs, OR have them "Moved to" another
account, which, for your needs, would be "Expenses:XFR1".

Similary, when you come to delete XFR3, all its TXNs could
placed into XFR1 as well.

I hope that makes sense, and that your data allows you to try
that approach.

This should go without saying, but, please make a back-up before
you start attempting to edit your data in these "slightly less
than typical" ways.