Bob
Your file will have the format "<filename>.gnucash".

It will also likely have a group of backup and log files in the same
directory with formats <filename>.gnucash.<timestamp>.gnucash and
<filename>.gnucash.<timestamp>.log depending on your preference
settings.

 Do you know what Gnucash version you were running previously (and on
what operating system you were running.

If you can locate the files on your computer using the file manager,
start GnuCash and then use the File_>Open dialog from the menu to
navigate to the location you found the files in and select the file of
format "<filename>.gnucash".

It is a good practice to keep the files for a single set of books in a
folder named for the entity the books are for.

David Cousens