On 2024-04-21 13:23, Kenneth Maze via gnucash-user wrote:
> I hadn’t used gnucash for several months due to illness.  I tried to open and
> access my data but got a message the file 'could not be found.   The file is
> in the history list, do you want to remove it?’
>
> I selected ‘no’ and the app quit.  I downloaded the latest version of the app
> and tried again with the same result.
>
> I don’t want to accidentally erase years of data.  Do I respond ‘yes’ to the
> message?

The message is perhaps not as clear as it might be, but it is asking
whether you want to delete the _pointer_ to the file from your history
list. It is not asking whether you want to delete the data file -- it
couldn't do that, since the file does not exist at the location in your
history list.

You didn't tell us which operating system you're using. But in most of
them, certainly in Windows, you can double-click the data file, once you
find it (using David Cousens' suggestions), and GnuCash will open,
placing a pointer to the file in position 1 in the history list for
future reference.

Do you by any chance have your GnuCash data files on an external drive,
or a USB stick? If so, make sure it is connected before you open GC.

Do you by any chance have your GnuCash data files on an encrypted drive?
If so, make sure that you have activated decryption before you open GC

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com/