On 4/21/2024 4:23 PM, Kenneth Maze via gnucash-user wrote:
I hadn’t used gnucash for several months due to illness.  I tried to open and
access my data but got a message the file 'could not be found.   The file is in
the history list, do you want to remove it?’
I selected ‘no’ and the app quit.

   This means that it can't find that file (full path file name). The most likely cause (assuming you did not accidentally delete the file or its directory) is that during those several months you made SOME change to your data directories than mean it is different now. I don't know how you have data files structured on your computer so what follows is just an example.

Let's say several months ago you had gnucash data directory under documents  and you had another directory "financial stuff", You decided, hey gnucash data is financial data so I'll just move the gnucash directory into the financial data directory << BTW, when I say "directory" you might know that as "folder" >> OK, IF you made a change like that gnucash now wouldn't be able to find because you changed the path to it.

   I downloaded the latest version of the app and tried again with the same
result.
THAT was irrelevant/useless. The data is NOT in the program. It is a data file separate from the program.
I don’t want to accidentally erase years of data.  Do I respond ‘yes’ to the
message?

Not really relevant. Your first step is to FIND that data file. For example, you might ask your system to find all files ending in .gnucash. If there are more than one of these, perhaps the name you gave it will help you find the right one. Once you know the FULL NAM (the path)  you can open gnucash. If you can't get to file=>open without answering YES, do that as it is just the "latest recently open list" you are affecting <<and you know what's these isn't correct; it told you "no such file" >> File=>open will allow you to type in the full name of the file you want gnucash to open. When you leave gnucash, that name will be the "last open"

Michael D Novack