Gyle, this import problem was the subject of my email a little while ago.
In my case, not so much the need for a split transaction as a method to
identify the specific transfer account needed and then the ability to add
it to the import information.  My work around is to import the data file,
hit finish, and deal with the imbalances.  Not at all elegant but I only
have to look up the information one time.  Then I reconcile with my
statement.

Liz suggested setting up a scheduled transaction with the proper number of
splits and filling them in when the bill was received.  She does that for
her utility bills.

I have a few regular transactions that have the same amount but GNU has not
learned which is which ( which $10 belongs to which subscription,
for example.)  I thought the amount and usual date of the transaction could
be enough.  If it is a specific amount GNU wants to associate it with the
first time that amount was imported (I think)

I use QFX on a Windows 11 pc and GNUcash Version 4.13, I was seeing so much
chatter about the newer versions that I've held off updating.

Regards,
Phyllis B