On Fri Apr 26, 2024, at 12:07:04 EDT Mr Ralls wrote:

Here's an example of a failed session with Homebrew interference: https://paste.jvnv.net/view/CcsOd This comes from an IRC discussion at https://code.gnucash.org/logs/2024/04/16.html#T06:46:33. There
was an earlier exchange with another longer dump that implicated
Homebrew in which I told the user to clean it out but gncbot was
apparently offline when that occurred and I don't have a link to it.
In the dump you can see that the user is invoking gnc-fq-update and
that it's running /usr/bin/perl. Later at line 97 you can see that /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.34 is missing from @INC. That's where the pre-built networking modules are.

John,

That is indeed odd. I have two Macbook Pros. One Intel based running OSX Catalina (It's a 2016 model), and a fairly new M1 running OSX Ventura. Both have HomeBrew's Perl installed along side the Apple bundled Perl. "Perl -V" does include "/System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.XX" on both (Catalina is 5.18, Ventura is 5.30). "@INC" in Perl is compiled. Installation of the HomeBrew Perl should in no way affect the value of @INC in the OSX bundled Perl. Most people wanting to modify @INC do so by a number of ways. Setting PERL5LIB, adding "-I<directory>" when executing Perl, or adding something like "use lib '/home/foobar/code';" to the Perl code are some examples.

As Vince showed, the HomeBrew Perl typically installs its modules under the $HOME/perl5 path, or as I see on my Ventura Mac, /opt/homebrew/Cellar/.

From the command line prompt in the session, it appears the user having the issue is on a MacBook Air. I wonder if the included version of Perl is not the same as what gets installed on a MacBook?

I'd be curious to see the output of this find command from that user's Mac.

find /Library/Perl /System/Library/Perl -path '*/Net/*' -type f -name 'SSLeay.pm'

Or more simply, does /System/Library/Perl/Extras exist on the user's MacBook Air?

That path may not be in the system Perl's @INC, because it's not part of the Apple Perl package.

Bruce S

P.S. My older Intel based Mac actually has 3 separate Perls installed. The third being one built from source where the paths in @INC are all under /usr/local/bpsperl/.