On Sat, May 11, 2024 at 12:45:11PM -0700, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
> Chris:
>
> On 2024-05-11 03:21, Chris Green wrote:
> > I am changing my Linux desktop computer from one running xubuntu 22.04
> > to one running xubuntu 24.04.  As a result of this the GnuCash version
> > will move from 4.8 to 5.5.
> >
> > Are there likely to be any problems or should it 'just work'?  I'm
> > using GnuCash with a sqlite database.
> >
> > I'm moving to new hardware so the old system will not disappear.
>
> This FAQ is probably relevant for you:
>
> "Can a new GnuCash release still read my old data file?"
> <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Can_a_new_GnuCash_release_still_read_my_old_data_file.3F>
>
> If that leaves you with questions, feel free to ask this list again.

So, it says (among other things) :-

    The data format between major release can change. However, the GnuCash
    developers try very hard to be as compatible as possible. Each major
    series is normally at least compatible with the previous major series.
    So, for example, if you have a data file created with 2.0.3, you
    should be able to open this with 2.2.5. Skipping a major release may
    cause issues though, and is not recommended. Instead, you are advised
    to at least open and save your file in the intervening major release
    first.

So, given that I'm going up just one major release I shouls be OK, but
running "Check & Repair" before doing anything else is a good idea.

--
Chris Green