Hello Ole and Ted:

>>> Sounds like you need to set it up as a NAT.
>>
>> I really hope you are just making a funny joke here.   But it’s not very
>> funny.   What I want is something that’s operationally simple, not something
>> with lots of moving parts that have to be kept track of.   NATs in
>> particular suck for any UDP-based protocol.
>
> for "permissionless extensions of the network" there isn't much else than NAT.
> Your other likely option is an ND proxy. If you are very sure that nothing
> else can be added to the network (we don't want to build a spanning tree
> protocol out of ND).

Agreed that ND proxy is not an alternative for routing. It is a one hop
extension around a transit link and nothing more. For deeper ”mesh” extensions
there are millions of nodes deployed out there that use RPL quite successfully.

The design allows to combine the 2 with a high speed backbone (Ethernet) and
RPL meshes ganging off ND proxies.

But inside a subnet RPL is used to route to hosts so there is no subnet
assignment just SLAAC or DHCP. Still those networks scale to ~ten thousand.
Good enough for home for a long time.

>>> I wasn't thinking of doing it exactly like the 6lowpan does it.

Too bad then... I still fail to see why the model cannot be generalized to more
powerful nodes.

Anyway a transit and one level of proxy already takes us a long way.

All the best,

Pascal