> How do you know the keepalive packets have not been sent? Did you run a
tcpdump?
I used Wireshark with "tcp.analysis.keep_alive ||
tcp.analysis.keep_alive_ack" filter to monitor connection between client
and server.

> The socket API (java and apache) traditionally does not support to
configure the keepalive times, they only allow to turn it on.
Yes. As I know the only way to set those timeouts is configuring Linux
parameters. By default keep-alive timeout is 2 hours which is too long :)
Some explanations:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1480236/does-a-tcp-socket-connection-have-a-keep-alive/33927447#33927447

Thanks,
Baratali Izmailov.