> You do not.

Looking at [1] the http classes (e.g. [2]) do not leverage the
java.net.http classes, so at least on that part I do remember right,
imho.

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpcomponents/oac.hc3x/trunk/src/java/org/apache/commons/httpclient/
[2]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpcomponents/oac.hc3x/trunk/src/java/org/apache/commons/httpclient/HttpConnection.java?view=markup

> There is nothing stopping anyone from building their own connection
> socket factory (for classic i/o) or their own TLS strategy (for the
> async i/o) and add whatever custom TLS behavior their heart desires.
>
> One can easily plug-in custom JSSE implementations by the way if the
> default one shipped with the JRE is not good enough.
>
> We support Conscrypt JSSE based TLS strategies out of the box sicne
> 5.0.

Point taken, I never questioned that - but from a user perspective it
still comes down to:

Q: Does it work (can it be enabled) with the current code / implementation?
A: no

Torsten