On 2024-04-21 04:22, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 19:50:56 +0200, Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
There are *no* reserved words in Rexx like in many other languages. (This alleviates one to have to learn them by heart. But more importantly, should the language get additional keywords over time

I disagree. Although it's context-sensitive. But ITERATE and LEAVE are
keywords within DO loops,

Are you confusing reserved words and keywords?
Keywords can be reserved words that cannot be used for other purposes,
as in COBOL.

In some languages, such as PL/I, keywords still have a meaning in the
language, but can be used for other purposes such as identifiers.
Such words are not reserved words.

which may not be intuitively obvious.  Otherwise
they would be commands.  RETURN is generally a keyword.  And THEN
is a keyword in an IF.

they would not break existing Rexx programs that happen to use them already,
unlike other programming languages.)

Not true. When I first learned Rexx, A='XYZ'B was legal. Later, it became
a syntax error.