On Thu, Sep 22, 2005, ik wrote about "Re: Actcom without a dailer costs more":
> In cables, it seems that without a dialer, the cables company controls your
> connection, and with one, the ISP control it.

I have a cable connection, without a dialer. Because cable clients are offered
a choice of ISPs (rather being forced to use one specific one), this sort of
connection requires a bit more work on the cable company side: they (or their
modem, or wherever this magic happens) need to reply to my DHCP request with a
new IP address which belongs to my ISP's range, and have all my packets go
to that ISP rather than some other ISP.

Apparently, this is not very difficult to do, because my connection works
fantasicaly. In fact, I'm not even limited to one IP address, and I can have
two (at least) computers running DHCP and getting two different IP addresses.

The strange thing is that for some reason, getting this sort of dialer-less
setup required fighting with the cable company. I can't for the life of me
understand why they'd want to complicate their clients with these idiotic
"dialers" (namely, some sort of IP over IP tunneling protocol), NAT and other
crap, when simple ethernet works. Just like when you plug a computer in an
office it just works, without any "dialers", why shouldn't exactly the same
thing work in the home? And how come I here more and more from people who
once did not need a dialer, and then their ISP or cable company forced them
to switch to using one?

> So again, as a customer, for me a dialer is a hoax that only make things
> complicated without any real need, and if I need to use a dialer, I do not

Exactly what I think.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Thursday, Sep 22 2005, 18 Elul 5765
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is